January 14, 2005

Prayer insights

by Dr. Steve Swihart

One of the greatest promises in the Bible is found in the first Psalm: “Whatever he does prospers” (1:3). This is a promise for success, accomplishment, fruitfulness. It is everyone’s dream to prosper. But like all of God’s promises, there are conditions. In this particular case, there are two conditions.

First, the Psalmist insists that we disconnect ourselves from all ungodly attachments––from inappropriate friendships, partnerships, viewing of certain movies and TV shows, and the like. Second, the author tells us that our highest desire must be to know and practice God’s Word.

When these prerequisites are met, miracles happen! Ask the Lord to guide you and others into His kind of prosperity.


I like reading these little prayer insights. These insights often make me think about how our life doesn't have to be highly adorned by our life style, but the simplest things in life are the ones that make the most difference in people's life. The secular culture imposes on its spectators a life full of luxury and refined thinking, yet, it's from the words of a young shepherd that a king was made.
We must never forget that the life that we live is not ours, and that God desires simplicity from us. Simplicity allows the Lord to work in our hearts and souls without risking the loss of our identity as we strive more and more towards the purity of heart, mind, and soul.
It is then possible for us to truly say what the psalmist of yore said, "whatever he does prospers" because we've learn in our simplicity to put the Lord at the center of our lives.

I know I said I was going to write in Spanish from now on, but since the majority of my Spanish speaking friends speak English as well, and since the majority of my English speaking friends speak English only, then, for everyone's sake, I'll write in English. I might casually write in my wonderful language, (which, by the way will be the language of heaven) because my Jesus tends to speak in Spanish to me, so that I may understand everything that my Prince says.

In hot pursuit,
ASD

No comments: