December 15, 2004

A letter to my dear...



I'm reading a book by Jane Austen, Persuasion. The novel is great, and since I've read most of her books my heart palpitates faster than ever because she just has these male characters who are just wonderful, and so romantic.
I might sound like a fool to you, but I believe there are men out there who can be just as wonderful as these male characters, or even better. I have been given wings, now I must fly. I am a believer of a greater manhood, as originally designed by God, and I know that there are thousands of young men out there who don't conform to the world standards of what a guy should be, and that they rise to the challenge to become the men God created them to be.

So here's a letter that one of these wonderful characters wrote to his beloved she. His name is Frederick Wentworth, and yes, he's cute, wonderful and very much in love.

'I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, and weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. - Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes?- I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others.- Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in

F. w.

'I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never.'

So, there's a little bit of what makes me faint, and dream, and sends me out flying among angels and humming birds.


ASD


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girlie...

mmm gotta love Jane Austen. *grin*

I hope all is well gor you.

-Amani